Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ben Age Two: Cleaning His World

After we removed Casein, Gluten and Soy from Ben's diet, as well as all the severe food intolerances from his AlCat test, we had to clean up his world. For all new parents, or especially the parents with children who are on the ASD or if your child has severe allergies, colic, food sensitivities or suffers from seizures, I would strongly recommend you read The Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride. I don't make any money off her books and she isn't my aunt or even a friend of a friend. The title kinda stinks in my opinion and if I could describe that book in one phrase it would be, "Everything you need to know about how diet, environmental factors, antibiotics, probiotics and vaccines are affecting our children."

I would be quoting a lot from that book on this blog, and probably will go back and quote more once I get it back from my pediatrician. Anyway, we learned that newly painted walls, new furniture, carpets (especially new ones) off gas toxic gasses in the air, toxins like fermeldyhde which can quickly overload a child's immune system. Even those flame retardant pajamas off gas fumes which are toxic. We switched out all of our cleaning products, toothpastes, shampoos and conditioners. We learned that play-doe has wheat / gluten in it, dixie paper plates and paper towls contain gluten, and most recently I was saddened to discover that my favorite scented hand sanitizers from Bath & Body Works contain Wheat Amino Acids (and amino acids are proteins) so basically your favorite hand sanitizer might as well be called a hand glutinizer! I'm slowly replacing my plastic tupperwears and sippie cups with glass or aluminum containers. We mop our floors with vinegar instead of bleach. Basically we're trying to reduce the toxic load as much as possible so that we can give poor Benny's immune system a chance to calm down so that it will ease up and hopefully stop reacting to every food he eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment